Since launch in 2020, over 4000 of you have started using our washing-up bars! That’s a lot of plastic bottles saved from landfill; and why does that matter? Here’s a few of the issues you’ve helped avoid:
- Plastics buried deep in landfill leach harmful chemicals that spread into groundwater.
- Plastic debris, laced with chemicals and frequently ingested by marine animals, poison wildlife.
- Chemicals which have been added to plastics are absorbed by human bodies. Some of these compounds have been found to alter hormones or have other human health effects.
- Floating plastic waste, which can survive for thousands of years in water, serves as mini transportation devices for invasive species, disrupting habitats.
In addition to all those ecological benefits, you’ve told us you love our washing up soap; that it’s long-lasting, great on grease, removes burnt on bits, stains and it’s gentle on hands. Check out the reviews on the product description.
Where did all the Bubbles go?
We’ll let you into a secret …. it’s not the bubbles that do the cleaning!
Our washing up soap removes grease, stains and dirt by breaking them down and creating microscopic spherical structures, which are washed away in the rinse water. Bacteria and other microbes are washed away within those little spherical structures too. We add sodium carbonate (or soda ash) to our washing up soap. This traditional cleaning ingredient softens hard water, cuts through grease and helps lift dirt and stains from the surface of the dishes.
Rinse everything in clean water before draining and you’ll have sparking, clean glasses and crockery. All ready for snacks, meals, gatherings and guests.
Furthermore, the alkaline pH of soap discourages the growth of bacteria and fungi, keeping the soap, and the dish in which it is stored clean and germ-free between washing-up sessions.
The ‘how to’ guide
So there you stand, dishes to the left, drainer to the right and dishes in the middle with you! With no plastic squeezy bottle to cling to, how do you use your Cosy Cottage washing-up soap?
Here’s our top tips:
- Pop your soap into the bowl, fill it with water, swoosh around a little (or use a soap-shaker), then remove the washing-up soap. You’ve created a soapy solution in the bowl which is ideal for everyday plates and mugs. A little bit of elbow grease, a brush or cloth and you’re underway
- For stains a little more mulish, rub your washing-up soap directly onto the cloth (or the stain) and gently rub to remove the dirt
- For really challenging, burnt-on food in porridge saucepans and roasting trays, pop the soap directly into the dirty pan, run hot water over the top and give it a good soak. When you return to it later, the soap in solution will have done its job loosening the troublesome grime and away you go
- Always rinse glasses and plates before draining or rubbing everything dry
Don’t take our word for it! Take a look at the reviews on the product description here