Hempseed oil … golden, nutty, rich in omega-3, low in saturated fats and great in salad dressings. Moreover, this versatile, golden oil consistently performs as a shining skincare star. Since we started using it in our soaps and creams, over four years ago, it’s become a firm favourite with many of you and your feedback speaks for itself
- I bought some for a friend of my daughters, that suffers with very sensitive, eczema skin to both hands. She says it is fabulous, soothing & has really helped.
- It is really helping to keep my hands moisturised and less wrinkly (yet another joy of getting older...)
Firstly, let’s get clear on the terminology of hemp …
- There’s hempseed oil (the oil we use), which is derived from the cold pressed seeds of the hemp plant (cannabis sativa). Hempseed Oil is very rich in a number of fatty acids which have been proven to yield skin benefits, including omega 3s and omega 6s, including GLA or Gamma Linoleic Acid
- There’s CBD (Cannabidiol), the regularly discussed and frequently controversial reliever of pain, inflammation and other conditions, made from the same cannabis sativa plant but using the stem, leaves and flowers, where the CBD molecules are concentrated, rather than the seeds
- Then there’s the illegal form of cannabis, which is sourced from particular hybridised strains the hemp plant, which contain in excess of 0.3% of the chemical THC or (tetrahydrocannabinol), the infamous, psychoactive component of cannabis sativa.
… and how is hempseed oil so great for our skin?
- The structure of hempseed oil makes it a great moisturiser without being a pore-clogger which means it resolves dryness without exacerbating blackheads or spots
- One of the omega-6 fatty acids in hempseed oil is gamma linoleic acid (GLA); a great anti-inflammatory agent, which also encourages skin regeneration. This valuable substance has also been reported to be beneficial for acne and psoriasis.
- The omega 6 group and omega 3 group fatty acids, in which hempseed oil is particularly rich have been seen to help conditions such as atopic dermatitis
- Hempseed Oil has been shown in some studies to have anti-ageing properties, helping reduce fine lines and wrinkles
We team hempseed oil with gloriously scented and relaxing patchouli essential oil, in several of our soaps and creams. The range consistently proves to be a firm favourite with our customers and attracts many, many repeat purchases from a growing fan base!